Thursday, June 23, 2011

I love nicknames

Our family has many nicknames and stories that go with! Thought it might be kind of fun to share how these names came about.  I think that giving and calling people by nicknames is a form of affection and way to show someone how very special they are.

I will start with mine...the one used the most for me!
MaeMae
and the story behind it is...Our family used to babysit two little boys, John and Paul (Who might I add here are both graduated from high school, taller than me and very handsome young men! And now I feel old!)  This name was given to me by them as I believe Maelen was too hard for them to pronounce.  Fast forward about 7 years and my oldest nephew Julian was born.  When he started to talk, this was what we taught him to call me and now 11 years (on Saturday actually!) later, the name has stuck and I am now called it by most of my nieces, nephews, family and friends. When Mykayla was little, she also called me MaeMae because that is what cousins called me and she didn't realize any different.  Some shorten it to Mae also. I LOVE my nickname and have to usually think twice if I am called Maelen by one of them : )

Next is my older sister Celia and probably one of my favorite family nicknames!
Auntie Cookie
When Mykayla was about 10 months old, Celia gave her an Oreo cookie. Not just any Oreo cookie, a Christmas one with red in the center. This was Mykayla's first cookie and Celia became Auntie Cookie. She has since given her other niece and two nephews (Well, not Brooks yet but I am sure it is coming!) their first cookie. I know Michael's was an Oreo also. When Michael was diagnosed with all his allergies, Celia made it her personal mission to find an Oreo type cookie he can have. I believe she is still on that mission! Celia recently re-did her kitchen to be Auntie Cookie's kitchen with a cookie theme including cookie jars, books and sayings.
 Auntie Cookie & her girls in their cookie jammies!

Next is my twin sister
Nuni 
Kattrina was given her nickname by our oldest nephew Julian. When he started talking, we tried to teach him Trina instead of Kattrina because we thought it would be easier. He pronounced it Nuni and it has since stuck! We have since just taught it to the rest of the kids that way. (Other forms of Nuni that we use: Nunifred, Noon, Auntie Buzzkill; oops did I say that one out loud : )

Next is my oldest nephew Julian, who has quite a few being the first grand baby on our side.
Bubba-One of Julian's first nicknames, not sure how it came about.
JMan- Probably my favorite, but again not sure how it came about!
J- His daddy calls him this one mainly.
Julian Mucca- Julian's middle name is Michael, after his Papa Mike. I believe that Mykayla and Christian both use to call him this when they were mad at him because they couldn't pronounce his middle name. Julian did not like being called this!! I do remember that!

Next is my younger nephew Christian
CDene-Christian's middle name is Dene after his Papa Barry. Guess we just put the two together and got this.
Bean-This one is my favorite of his! I believe that CDene just turned into Bean.
CMagnet-This is what Uncle Adam likes to call him.
Cushion Dene-Another one that I am not sure how it came about but has stuck!

And lastly Mykayla
Kayla-Her name was shorten when she was pretty little and she is referred to as that by most of our family and friends.
MyMy-Papa Barry gave her this one.
KayBaby-Christian mainly calls her this. Even now at 9 and 7 years old, he still calls her that every once in awhile. She will always be the baby cousin to him.  I love when he does, it is so sweet! (This has been shorten to KaylaB also)
Macockroach-Story behind this: Mykayla was a big Hannah Montana fan for a couple years. Hannah's rival on the series is another singer named Makayla which Hannah calls Macockroach. Adam started calling her this after seeing it on the show. (Other forms of it: cockroach, macoocaroacho, rochiebochie and just roach) I have a feeling something with this nickname is going in her high school yearbook : )

I am sure over the next couple years, Michael and Brooks will get their own nicknames too. That will be another post!









No comments:

Post a Comment