Monday, April 18, 2011

Let the Living/dining room transformation begin....

The other day, Adam says to me "I have been inspired by Amanda's (my sister in law, who's blog I have referenced before) blog post and I think we should start slowly redoing rooms in our house." Or something close to this : ) I was so excited!!! There is so much I have want to do but do realize we have to accomplish things slowly. I am totally OK with this as it is going to get done. Our first transformation is going to be the living/dining room.  Basically our downstairs, minus the kitchen is one big open living area so we will start with that entire room.  Last night, we sat down and made our wish list...

Living/dining room wish list:
-Wains coating with chair rail
-paint walls
-paint or refinish hutch (my scrapbook hutch)
-new blinds on windows & sliding glass door
-paint ugly green tile around fireplace
-replace gold lighting fixture in dining room
-baseboard and window trim

After some discussion and flipping through the Home Depot color book that I got for inspiration, we decided on some main colors and ideas for the room.  We decided against wains coating and are going to go with painting the bottom part of the main wall in the room and then put up a chair rail.  We also want to paint the wall that is next to the fireplace.  This paint color will probably be a light gray and the rest of the walls will be painted white.  Then we will use red for an accent color (frames, accessories, maybe some furniture).  The main furniture project will be my hutch.  We will probably get slip covers for the couch and chair for now and possibly do something the the dining room table and chairs. I am going to do some garage sale hunting to see if maybe I can find a table to refinish.  Our current dining room chairs are black, may just buy red cushions for them and call it good. 

Adam came home from Lowes with these today.  Our wish list is also in this picture.


This is our original inspirations!


I will post before and after pictures when we get started, hope you will continue to follow our transformation!


1 comment:

  1. Ooh I love the red/grey combo! I hate that decorating is so expensive, but I guess the challenge of doing it on a budget can be kind of fun! I cannot wait to see what you guys accomplish!!

    ReplyDelete