Wednesday, May 25, 2011


Last night was Mykayla's first grade play, "Who Stole the Tarts?" In the play, Princess Claire is celebrating her 16th birthday with a huge birthday ball and she would like for the Knave of Hearts to come but her father, Old King Cole would not have the "thief and scoundrel" in his palace. Throughout the play there was several choruses reciting different nursery rhymes. Mykayla played the Queen of Hearts along side her buddy Teddy who played Old King Cole.  The two of them were so cute together!  She brought home the script about 6 weeks ago and pretty much had her parts memorized that first week (I had the king's parts memorized shortly too). On Monday evening, she recited the entire play to me! They practiced every day in the morning for about an hour and all of their hard work definitely payed off!  Mykayla was very excited because her Papa Barry made the queen and king's costumes. I was so impressed with the 1st grade teaching team and the students. They did an amazing job! I can't imagine it would be very easy to coordinate a play with around 90 first graders in it and yet they pulled it off amazingly.  They did not have microphones so the kids had to really shout and they all did so well.  You could hear every word very clearly.  My favorite line of the whole play was during the Little Miss Muffett chorus, she says "Beat it Arachnid!" :  ) Love it!! At one point, my sister asked me if Mykayla was also the director : ) Yeah, she was a little bossy up there, making sure her friends were doing what they were supposed to be. (Guess she comes by that honestly huh?) I was so proud of her and was beaming the entire time during the play. I had several other parents tell me how well she did too. Yeah, proud mama here! My little Queen of Hearts was awesome! (Does it help that she is a bit of a drama queen? Again, not sure who she gets that from?)


No comments:

Post a Comment