Saturday, July 9, 2011

Happy 60th Birthday Dad!

Tonight we celebrated dad's 60th birthday at MOD (Made on Demand, for those not familiar with it) Pizza in Bellevue. It was my first time there and I am sold, I will definitely return! Fun place, great atmosphere and awesome pizza!! Anyway, back to my dad! I am sure I am bias but I truly do have the best dad in the entire world! Thought I would share some fun facts about my dad with you:

* My dad is actually one of four (Yes 60 years ago, quads were almost unheard of!) One of his brothers died in the womb, his triplet passed away shortly after they were born and his twin brother passed away several years ago from cancer. Being a twin myself, I could not imagine the pain of losing my twin sister. Not sure how he got through this except that he is a strong believer in Jesus Christ and relied heavily on his faith.

* My dad's name is Barry Dene, his twin brother was Carey Gene and their triplet was Terry Rene. Talk about childhood torture : ) My dad grew up BarryCarey all his life. That would be why Kattrina and I have such different un-matchy names : )

* Dad majored in costume design/theater in collage. Growing up I never had a store bought costume and sometimes was jealous of friends who did. Looking at pictures now, I realize how incredibly lucky I was to have such unique, hand made costumes. I was a crayon one year, how cool is that? Dad has also always made costumes for himself each year. The most memorable one for me was Ms. Doubtfire, it was dead on! Papa Barry has made several costumes for his grand kids also including the Queen of Hearts and Old King Cole for Kayla's first grade play. They were a hit!

* As mentioned above, my dad is a believer in Jesus Christ who you can often times find in his brown chair in the living room reading his Bible. He taught Sunday school for several years and enjoys doing drama at his church.

* Dad is also an awesome "Papa" to his 6 grandkids and would do anything for them. If they cry, he insists they need a bottle or food. When we tell him no they don't, he always says "I'm sure glad you are not my mom!" to which we say "I am glad I am not your mom too!"  Seems to be our token line.

* Dad is crafty to say the least! (Hence the theater/costume design major) The man paints, makes jewelry, scrapbooks, quilts and loves to make things out of "found" objects such as purses out of cigar boxes or guitars out of gourds. You name it, he could probably make it. He enjoys entering things in the fair each year, my favorite being the duct tape purse he entered a couple years back.

* Dad is very generous and is always asking if I need money. He likes to say, "May as well spend it now, not going to be much when your mom and I die." Nice thought dad, but keep your money : ) I know I will be in trouble if we are ever struggling and I don't tell/ask dad for money.  : )

Thanks for all you do dad! We love you and hope to have 60 more years with you! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment